An e-commerce web app needs consistent communication between the client-end browser and the database-side server. If you are to provide the best user-experience to the user, the I/O bound tasks have to be fast. This is where NodeJS comes into the picture.
What is NodeJS?
Advantages of NodeJS for e-commerce web development-
1. It is a cross-platform framework that runs on Windows, Linux, or MAC.
2. It offers easy scalability for e-commerce web applications.
3. It supports implementing a lot of plugins using the NPM (Node Package Manager).
4. Since it is an open-source platform, it keeps receiving upgrades.
5. It allows for caching single modules automatically thus increasing the loading speed.
6. It is an event-based platform meaning all that happens is a reaction to an event. Thus the requests are accepted and processed in loops. This event loop is a runtime part and is of great use for developing gaming apps, real-time apps, chat apps, etc.
7. It uses a single thread for handling connections while other web servers create a new thread for every new connection. This makes it suitable for web apps where multiple tasks run concurrently. Also, the app utilizes less memory because of this functionality.
10. NodeJS uses asynchronous methods to help the app execute tasks faster instead of having to wait in the queue. It instead queues callbacks in the loop in the same order as it was received.
11. It provides the option of non-blocking I/O systems thus helping to process several requests simultaneously.
12. It is an extensible and competent platform and can be customized as per the requirements.
NodeJS is best when your app has to maintain a persistent connection between the browser and the server like the e-commerce apps wherein a lot of database calls and I/O operations are required. Famous e-commerce sites like Amazon, Target, and Walmart use this app.