Google My Business is an online directory. To understand its importance, let us take you back to the good old days of the humble telephone.
Remember your telephone directory or the yellow pages that were your utmost means of local search guide. You wanted the services of an AC repair technician; you frantically paced through the telephone directory for one.
Times have changed, but our necessities remain the same. Of course, you have mobile devices to store important numbers.
But, your local search in the telephone directory has been effectively replaced with the Google search.
“Restaurants near me”
“AC repair near me”
“Playgroup near me”
Google has an answer to anything and everything. So, if your business is to get listed on the Google local search results, registering it in Google My Business is the answer.
Why register your business on Google My Business?
Here, we present to you some facts about local searches on Google:-
1. 88% of the consumers, who have searched for a local business, take action within the next 24 hours. They either call or follow it up with a business visit.
2. 46% of Google searches are for local business information.
3. 97% of people rely on searches for local business information.
4. 92% of the people will opt for results on the first page of the results.
5. Local search is 300% more effective than social media searches.
6. 70% of the customers search for the location on the map before visiting the store.
All of these statistics show that local searches are very important.
But the sad fact remains that more than 55% of the local stores never bother to list their services on Google. And even more surprising is that many just register their business on Google with minimum details and leave it as it is.
Folks, know that Google My Business is FREE. Registering your business on Google My Business is easy. Optimizing the profile and leveraging it to your advantage is even easier.
Do not believe it? We will decipher the optimizing techniques step-by-step in the next article so that by the end of it you will have a completed profile in Google My Business.
So, we are doing a two-part series article. This first article is on the process of registration and verification on Google My Business. The next article will cover Google My Business profile optimization techniques.
Let us get started with the registration and verification processes right away.
How to create your listing on Google My Business?
Let us start with Google My Business registration first.
GOOGLE MY BUSINESS REGISTRATION
Opening a Google account-
The foremost criterion is to have your Google account. Create one, if you are not using Google services. You will have a lot of benefits with your Google account with access to Gmail, Google Drive, Google Photos, Contacts and much more.
Opening Google My Business-
Open Google My Business page. You will find a Sign-In button on the top right corner of the page. Click on it and sign in using your Google account.
Process of Google My Business registration-
Now, the official registration of your business with Google starts. You have to enter the following details:
1. Name of your business
2. Business address (Be precise because you will receive a Google My Business verification PIN by post on this address)
3. Business location on Google Maps (If you do not want to enter your business address, you can list your service areas and click “I deliver goods and services to my customers”. You have the option of hiding the address and displaying only the delivery area.)
4. Search and click on the business category (Be cautious while selecting because this will be your business identity for Google to display your listing for the search query result. You can add more specific categories later)
5. Contact number
6. Website URL (optional). In case you do not have any business website, you have the option of creating a free one here)
GOOGLE MY BUSINESS VERIFICATION
The last part of the registration process is verification. Usually, it is by the ‘postcard by mail method’. Here, you have to fill your contact name and cross-check if the address is right. Click on the ‘Mail’ button. You will receive your verification PIN by post on your business address within a week. Do not change any of the entered details until you receive your post. This could delay the process.
Very rarely, you may get the option of verification by phone or email. If you are the lucky one, do not hesitate to click on it because your verification code reaches you instantly.
Once you have the verification code in hand (by post), log in to Google My Business. Click on ‘Verify Now’ button. Enter the five-digit PIN and click on ‘Submit’.
Note: In case of multiple locations, select the location you want to verify and then submit the PIN.
Yes, now you have successfully registered your business on Google My Business.
Congratulations, with the registration and verification you have successfully created your listing on Google My Business. A Google Maps location is either generated or an existing one is synchronized with the Google Search for easy search and access.
Next, comes the profile optimization part. This will be described in the second article. Remember to read the article on Google My Business profile optimization if you want your business to rank in the Google local search results.
Google My Business is a great way to stay connected with your local customers and boost your local SEO. With social media accounts under the scanner for data privacy issues, it makes sense to stay in touch with the local people through local listings.
A must for small businesses, Google My Business is free and cost-effective. Have you registered your business in Google My Business? If you want help to register your business on Google, consult an expert to do so. Get the right start and see how you can increase your reach.